Saturday, September 09, 2006

Socially backward???

I love it when people ask me or anyone in my family "so how is school going?", or "what school do your kids attend?". I then proudly tell them about how my wife and I are homeschooling. The reactions go from blank stares to "wow, thats amazing. I could never do that." My favorite response is when people ask me if Im worried about my kids becoming "socially backward". In many ways, I hope this is true. Why would I want my kids to act like all those little lemmings that are worried more about the latest style, or music than their education, or their church, and their relationships with family.
Reality is that stereotypes are always based on some truth. There are some homeschool people that create a ultra sheltered unhealthy environment. The problem isnt homeschooling, it is the way that they are raised in general.
My family is involved in a homeschool group with families in the Seward, NE area. Many of the kids are high school aged. Instead of spending their days in a public school where most of the time is wasted, they are able to do their studies usually half of the day. Then many of them have jobs, or apprenticeships where they are experiencing a true adult "social" environment. Many homeschooled kids graduate from highschool at a younger age than public school kids, and usually their maturity level is advanced along with that. Many people I talk to look at that as a negative!
My oldest is Hannah. She is 8, and is a natural reader, but learns math a little differently. Natalie is 6 and she is a spark plug. She learns in an entirely different way. I would venture to guess that if she were starting public school, she would struggle, and maybe some would recommend treatment for ADD. This isnt the case but a public school just cannot be expected to be able to teach every child properly.
I attended public school by the way, and turned out fine:). If you are comfortable with sending your kids to public school, thats great! Im not. What I ask from people is to not rush to judgement on someone that teaches their kids at home.
I guess thats my rant for today!!
Kurt

No comments: