Monday, September 04, 2006

First Time For Everything....

I actually enjoy firsts. First steps, first bike, first car, first ticket......:) Okay, I didn't enjoy that first! This happens to be my first attempt at blogging, and it's fun so far!
Sunday afternoon I put up my first do-it-yourself storage shed. Its a 7x11 plastic unit that was really easy to put together and seems sturdy. Today I filled that thing to the brim with lawn equipment and kid equipment. The neat thing was my 6 year old Natalie's enthusiasm. She was really excited about helping me fill the shed. Im sure I could have finished much quicker if I had done it alone, but the blessing would not have been there. How many times do we say "no" to our children because of selfish reasons? I didnt necessarily feel like having a 6yr old getting in my way while I was trying to finish my project before supper. When I come home from work, I dont really feel like chasing the kids and wrestling on the floor. I really dont want to deal with the mess if I let them play in the mud. If we say "no" to these kind of things, life goes on. But in my experience, the benefits of saying yes outweigh the negatives. These are the opportunities God gives us to make a real impact in our children's lives. My wife put note above the kitchen sink that simply says, "It's not about me". How true that is. Dear Lord, help me to realize that life isnt about me. Give me a servant's heart towards my children, my spouse, and whomever I meet today. Let me be be a blessing to the people I meet today. In Jesus' name, Amen

No comments: